Mar 24, 2014 - 12:18 PM
The idea of reusing LiveWire workspaces with different data sets is a great topic of discussion. We actually receive many questions about this.
For instance the following came from one of the power utilities in the U.S. It was a situation where they had numerous data sets with the same name and spent a lot of time creating a workspace for just one of those sets of data. What they wanted to do was reuse that workspace for all the other data sets without having to recreate one for each set (similar to a template). They wanted to know if this was possible; and if so, whether or not it was difficult to do.
Well, yes it is possible, and actually it is quite easy to do in LiveWire.
To reuse workspaces with different data (use workspaces as templates) you must do the following:
1) Make sure all of your data sets have exactly the SAME name.
2) Put the different data sets into folders with DIFFERENT names.
3) Create your LiveWire workspace and reference a data set in a specific folder.
4) Save the LiveWire workspace in the same folder as the data. This will create a relative path from the data to the workspace.
5) Copy the workspace <template.lww> from one data folder to another. This is like copying a template.
6) Open the workspace <template.lww> in the new folder. The relative path to the data will now be relative to the data in the new folder.
This will give you the ability to reuse a workspace as a “template” with other sets of data.
Z Systems, Inc.